McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act

If your family lives in any of the following situations:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground

  • On the street

  • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or

  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Then, you have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.

You have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. You must be given access to the same public education provided to other students.

  • Continue in the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. The school district’s local liaison for homeless education must assist you, if needed, and offer you the right to appeal a decision regarding your choice of school if it goes against your wishes.

  • Receive transportation to the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended, if you request
    such transportation.

  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with students who are not homeless. Students cannot be separated from the
    regular school program because they are homeless.

  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay
    school enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents
    required for enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrollment.

  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other students served in these programs.

  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education for help in enrolling in a new school or arranging to continue in your former school. (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.)

  • Tell your teachers anything that you think they need to know to help you in school.

  • Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

District Homeless Liaison: Mrs. Vicki Mikusko
989-631-2418 ext 1611